The KNOM Radio Mission Incorporated Board of Directors is seeking candidates for the position of KNOM General Manager. This position is located in Nome, Alaska.
A 19-time winner of the Catholic Academy for Communications Arts Professionals Gabriel Award for Radio Station of the Year, KNOM serves a wide area of Western Alaska with a 25,000 watt AM signal, along with 1,000 watt FM signal in Nome. The station’s mission statement – “encountering Christ, embracing culture, empowering growth, and engaging the listener” – reflects the broad range of programming that has become KNOM’s trademark over the past 49 years.
The station is organized as a 501(c) 3 nonprofit corporation, with a volunteer board of directors serving as owners. The KNOM General Manager is directly responsible for all aspects of KNOM’s operations and serves under the Board of Directors.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 5 years professional broadcast experience required
- Catholic radio managerial experience preferred
- Skilled in leading a team, maintaining morale, and working professionally with staff
- Awareness of non-commercial radio FCC rules and regulations
- Knowledge of and respect for Catholic Church theology and teachings
- Detail-oriented in radio production and writing skills
- On-air presence and ability to speak clearly and smoothly
- Experience in current non-profit fundraising and creating annual budgets
- Willingness to maintain a good public relations presence in the community and region
- Functional knowledge of computers, software, and standard broadcasting equipment
Duties and Responsibilities (including, but not limited to the following):
- Maintain and ensure compliance with non-commercial FCC licenses for KNOM-AM &FM
- Oversee station programming to ensure that it is meeting the needs of listeners
- Train staff and volunteers on KNOM’s mission and values, as well as policies and procedures
- Perform on-air work as necessary
- Chair monthly management team meetings and weekly meetings of all staff
- Assist KNOM Board of Directors in strategic planning efforts
- Develop short and long-term planning with staff to meet strategic plan
- Assist in the creation of annual budgets
- Oversee maintenance projects for all KNOM properties, equipment, and archives
- Seek out and maintain underwriting relationships with businesses and organizations
Salary begins at $84,000 per year, but will ultimately be determined by the Board based on the successful candidate’s qualifications. Benefits include:
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage
- Allowances for personal leave and vacation
- Optional participation in a 403(B) retirement plan
- Use of company vehicle in Nome
If you are interested in applying or learning more about this position, please submit a cover letter, resume, and air-check/voice sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Encountering Christ, embracing culture, empowering growth, and engaging the listener.” Operating as the oldest Catholic radio station in the country, KNOM values being a friend and companion, providing respectful service based on Catholic ideals. We’re KNOM: Yours for Western Alaska.