Position: Program Assistant
Hours: Full-time, hourly, 40 hours/week
Salary: 60,000 annually, DOE
Location: Nome, AK
Opening/Closing: Job posted April 22, 2021; open until filled
The Operations Manager supervises the operations, maintenance, programming and, engineering of KNOM AM & FM radio stations. Ensures proper formats are followed for radio programming, ensures announcements and scheduled programs are aired as scheduled, and ensures broadcast staff and volunteers are professionally trained. This position will assure compliance with FCC broadcast regulations. Supervision will also be required for the operation of KNOM AM & FM.
- Act as Chief Operator of the broadcast facilities and maintain records of station programming, operations and station licenses, and related records.
- Coordinates production of all programs for broadcast, serves as technical director for news programs, acquires, records, and manages satellite feeds, and assures proper staffing levels of technicians. Interrupts scheduled programming for airing of breaking news or emergency management as authorized by the News Director and General Manager.
- Oversee technical repair and maintenance of broadcast facilities and assist contract engineers with broadcast audio chain repairs as may be required for the continued operations of station’s control rooms, transmitters or antennas
- Provide technical training in radio operations. This includes staff, students, and volunteers in skills such as control room operation, broadcast techniques, equipment use and audio editing,
- Provide administrative support functions, such as computer operations and maintenance logs.
- Supervise broadcast operations and assist with volunteer DJ support when necessary.
- Survey equipment needs, research projects, and write bid specifications for anticipated purchases
- Remain informed of technological developments in broadcast and operations.
- Monitors and evaluates program effectiveness and recommends changes required for improvement.
- Works with team to pursue the KNOM mission and conducts him/herself in accordance with the values of KNOM.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Familiar with Federal Communications Commission Rules and Regulations applicable to nonprofit radio stations commonly known as Non-Commercial Educational (NCE) radio facilities.
- Knowledge of broadcast hardware & software needed to work with the engineers and the ability to provide for the regular maintenance and repair of equipment.
- Knowledge of Nautel transmitters is preferred but not required. Technical knowledge of EAS systems is also preferred.
- Ability to operate and maintain computerized office equipment (PC) and software programs.
- Knowledge of radio organizational structures, workflows, systems, and operating procedures. Experience with Zetta and RCS systems is preferred. Knowledge of Wheatstone equipment would also be preferred, but not required.
- Ability to train volunteers and work with management personnel.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Four (4) years’ experience in program management in the broadcasting field, one (1) year of which is performing overseeing the duties of others.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, be able to drive, have a safe driving record, and proof of insurability.
Associate degree, or accredited four year College degree, or technical/professional school in Broadcasting, Communications, or related field or any equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the above noted knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Work is performed primarily at the KNOM Studios but also includes visiting the transmitter site about 4 miles from Nome city center. Most repairs of electronic equipment affecting consistent on-air transmission must be conducted between 12:00 midnight and 6:00 a.m., in accordance with FCC guidelines. Travel may be required to assess work required. This position may be required to respond to emergency situations during evening and weekend hours.
Applying does not guarantee any candidate an interview. Candidates are interviewed by appointment only. Required documents are:
- Cover letter
- Four letters of recommendation from the last 3-4 years (two must be from a supervisor)
- Send a mp3 file showing production and on-air shift ability
Upon offer of employment, applicants must be willing to go through a background check. Send all documentation for Operations Manager to:
Tony Calumet, General Manager for KNOM AM & FM, at [email protected].
To read or download the full job description as a PDF document, click here.
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
KNOM Mission Radio does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ancestry, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity in admission or access to the treatment of employment in its programs and activities as required by state and federal law.