Position: Lead Reporter
Hours: Full time, 40 hours/week, Exempt
Location: Nome, AK
Reports to: News Director
Opening/Closing: Job posted May 25, 2018; open until filled
The Lead Reporter serves as KNOM’s primary journalist for Western Alaska and is responsible for anchoring daily and weekly newscasts on KNOM AM & FM. The Lead Reporter assists the News Director in training and coaching KNOM volunteer fellows.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 1 year professional broadcasting experience.
- Experience with Adobe Audition software.
- Knowledge of current news standards.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and on a small team.
- Ability to operate all broadcast equipment in the KNOM station building.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Anchor daily newscasts, weather recordings, and breaking news events.
- Write and produce news content for daily newscasts.
- Attend and report on city, regional, and statewide meetings.
- Travel throughout Western Alaska to identify news tips and cover stories relevant to the region.
- Host live call-in shows addressing issues affecting Western Alaska.
- Ensure news content meets FCC guidelines and fulfills mission of KNOM.
- Report to News Director to ensure online content meets needs of knom.org audience.
- Some evening, weekend, and holiday work may be required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Send a complete cover letter, resume, and aircheck through KNOM’s job application form.
“Encountering Christ, embracing culture, empowering growth, and engaging the listener.” Operating as the oldest Catholic radio station in the country, KNOM values being a friend and companion, providing respectful service based on Catholic ideals. We’re KNOM: Yours for Western Alaska.