Hours: Full-time, hourly, 40 hours/week
Wage range: $24.50-$29.00/hr
Location: Nome, AK
Opening/Closing: Job posted April 20, 2022; open until filled
This Nome-based job is the entry-level core position and includes on-the-air work combined with other news duties. A high degree of job flexibility, respect, and team orientation is required. Work hours vary with staffing and seasonal changes. Reporters are supervised by the news manager/director. Initially, this position will train to be proficient in both production and news, then specialize in news reporting in accordance with the employee’s professional development plan.
This is an hourly, full-time position. Wage range is $24.50-$29.00/hr, depending on experience and education. Benefits include health insurance, paid time off, 403B retirement plan.
- Bachelor’s degree/equivalent experience or degree in progress considered
- Experience in journalism/media preferred
- Affinity for rural Alaska
- Ability to learn and operate studio-broadcasting equipment, production and news software
- Excellent written & speaking skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and on a small team, and incorporate feedback
- Evening, weekend, and holiday work may be required
- Ability to travel on small aircraft, traveling as need for news story coverage
- Alignment with KNOM mission and values
- Driver’s license
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deejay as scheduled – this includes recording/preparing updated weather and announcements
- Maintain, uphold and promote station format and scheduled programming
- Travel as needed for news stories or feature programs
- Attend and report on city, regional and statewide news events
- Pitch/write/produce news content for newscasts that align with FCC guidelines and he KNOM mission and values
- Responsible for a news beat assigned by News Manager/Director
- Prepare & anchor newscasts, weather recording, cover breaking news events and take assignments
- Prepare online content appropriately and in a timely fashion
- Supervised by the news director/manager
- Other duties as assigned
Applying does not guarantee any candidate an interview. Candidates are interviewed by appointment only. Required documents are:
- Cover letter
- Provide work samples of previous news writing
Upon offer of employment, applicants must be willing to go through a background check. Send all documentation for Reporter to:
Tony Calumet, General Manager for KNOM AM & FM, at email@example.com.
To read or download the full job description as a PDF document, click here.
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
KNOM Mission Radio does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ancestry, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity in admission or access to the treatment of employment in its programs and activities as required by state and federal law.