Daily life in Western Alaska is shaped by the weather like few places on Earth.
KNOM strives to keep its listeners informed with the most recent information from the National Weather Service.
Regional weather forecasts air in the following hours:
- Morning: 7am (weekdays only), 8am, 9am
- Afternoon/evening: 12noon, 5pm, 9pm
- Overnight: every hour, 12 midnight through 6am
Weather forecasts are always organized into 8 different regional zones; listen for the zone that corresponds to your village or destination:
- The Kuskokwim Delta: Bethel, Hooper Bay, and Nunivak Island
- The Yukon Delta: Emmonak, Mountain Village, Alakanuk, Kotlik, Pilot Station, St. Mary’s, Scammon Bay, Nunam Iqua, and Pitkas Point
- The Lower Yukon Valley: Marshall, Russian Mission, Holy Cross, Grayling, Shageluk, Anvik, and Flat
- St. Lawrence Island and the Bering Strait Coast: Gambell, Savoonga, Brevig Mission, Teller, Wales, and Diomede
- The Chukchi Sea Coast: Point Hope, Shishmaref, Kivalina, and Espenberg
- The Northern and Interior Seward Peninsula: Buckland, Deering, Candle, Council, Haycock, Pilgrim Springs, Serpentine Hot Springs, and Taylor
- The Eastern Norton Sound and Nulato Hills: Unalakleet, Stebbins, St. Michael, Elim, Koyuk, and Shaktoolik
- The Southern Seward Peninsula Coast: Nome, White Mountain, and Golovin.
If the National Weather Service anticipates an exceptional weather condition – such as a blizzard, high winds, or flooding – we’ll tell you all the relevant information in our weather forecasts.
Listen for warnings, watches, and advisories, and listen especially for any special actions or precautions that the National Weather Service may recommend (such as to seek higher ground or to secure boats in the event of flooding or high seas).
KNOM also features daily marine weather forecasts, which cover weather conditions for the seas and sea coasts of Western Alaska. It airs on KNOM at these times:
Monday through Friday:
- 9am, 12noon, 5pm (approximately 10 minutes after the hour – in between KNOM Update News and the regional weather forecast)
Saturday and Sunday:
- 9:02am (immediately after CNN News)
- 12noon and 5pm (approximately 10 minutes after the hour, before the regional weather forecast)
Sea Ice Forecasts
When seasonally appropriate, KNOM also broadcasts information on the coverage area and thickness of ocean and near-shore ice in Western Alaska. These forecasts air immediately after marine weather: in the 9am, 12noon, and 5pm hours each day.