Position: News Director
Hours: Full time, 40 hours/week, Exempt
Location: Nome, AK
Reports to: General Manager
Opening/Closing: Job posted May 25, 2018; open until filled
The News Director coordinates all KNOM AM & FM news programming and content, ensuring all programs are consistent with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations as well as KNOM’s Mission. The News Director is the supervisor to the lead reporter and all volunteer fellows.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 2 years professional broadcasting experience.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team.
- Proficiency with Adobe Audition.
- Knowledge of current news and journalism standards.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise all KNOM news programming including selection, editing, and production of KNOM newscasts, features, weather, live call-in shows, and race season coverage, such as the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.
- Oversee news content edits for online audience at knom.org in collaboration with Web Director.
- Train, coach, and mentor all news staff and volunteer fellows in local, regional, and statewide issues and journalism standards.
- Report to General Manager to ensure news content meets FCC guidelines and KNOM mission.
- Serves as second in command to the General Manager.
- Schedule travel throughout Western Alaska to identify news tips and cover regional stories.
- Streamline news processes for efficient newsroom workflow and training.
- Anchor daily/weekly newscasts.
- Cover city, regional, and statewide meetings pertaining to regional issues.
- This is an on-call position pending breaking news and community events. Some evening, weekend, and holiday work may be required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Send a complete cover letter, resume, and aircheck to: firstname.lastname@example.org
“Encountering Christ, embracing culture, empowering growth, and engaging the listener.” Operating as the oldest Catholic radio station in the country, KNOM values being a friend and companion, providing respectful service based on Catholic ideals. We’re KNOM: Yours for Western Alaska. Learn more about the KNOM mission »