The Federal Subsistence Board has closed Unit 23 to outside hunters this fall, but the yearlong ban hasn’t cleared up the controversy or confusion surrounding the hunt.
On Wednesday, the state officials asked the Federal Subsistence Board to reconsider the yearlong closure, which goes into effect on July 1.
Last week, the Federal Subsistence Board voted to close Unit 23 to all but local caribou hunters. The closure will last for one year.
The most contentious new rule requires caribou hunters to carry a harvest ticket with them while hunting. That’s according to Charlie Lean, chair of the Northern Norton Sound Advisory Committee.
Dennis Davis said sea ice conditions have become less reliable for his fellow seal and walrus hunters. He said the footage he collects with the drone “is like insurance.”
Alaska Wildlife Troopers are searching for the person or people who failed to salvage the meat of a bear shot near Cape Nome.
Ten thousand pounds of donated halibut will help four communities affected by this spring’s poor walrus harvest.
As new noise, firearm, and marijuana ordinances are readied for public consumption, the city council is preparing to interview two candidates for the city manager job.
The National Park Service is proposing changing regulations for sport hunting and trapping on Alaska’s national preserves—but while the changes mostly impact a variety of predator species like wolves and bears, new regulations on caribou hunting are drawing concern from local hunters.
It’s a discussion on summer subsistence – with commentary from Shishmaref’s Johnson Eningowuk and Nome’s Beth Herzner, plus listener calls and emails. Listen to the full show.