“I am addressing my way of life,” subsistence hunter Walter Sampson said at last week’s meeting in Kotzebue, wary of sport caribou hunters being allowed back into Unit 23.
The Federal Subsistence Board has closed Unit 23 to outside hunters this fall, but the yearlong ban hasn’t cleared up the controversy or confusion surrounding the hunt.
On Wednesday, the state officials asked the Federal Subsistence Board to reconsider the yearlong closure, which goes into effect on July 1.
Last week, the Federal Subsistence Board voted to close Unit 23 to all but local caribou hunters. The closure will last for one year.
The most contentious new rule requires caribou hunters to carry a harvest ticket with them while hunting. That’s according to Charlie Lean, chair of the Northern Norton Sound Advisory Committee.
With snow blanketing Nome in the last few weeks, Emily reflects on her first few skis in Nome and the last few winters she’s spent skiing around the state.
The U.S. Arctic Research Commission covered a range of topics — from fire forecasts to walrus tagging to the nutritional value of reindeer meat.
“This is a hard pill to swallow, but it’s a matter of sharing the burden of conservation between all areas and being proactive before it reaches a real crisis,” said Charlie Lean.
The group supported all but the moose proposal, which would reauthorize the option for a cow moose hunt in Units 22C and 22D.
“I think we’ve got enough information to show that with regard to caribou, it’s not an easy answer,” said Kotzebue-based ADF&G biologist Jim Dau.