96.1 FM | 780 AM | “Yours for Western Alaska”

Alleged Heroin Trafficker Could Face Up to Ten Years in Prison if Convicted

Alaskans awaiting arraignment in Nome's courthouse. Photo: Matthew F. Smith, KNOM file.

Another court case involving drug trafficking was heard in the Nome Courthouse this afternoon. Zachary Bourdon, recently arrested for misconduct involving a controlled substance, had a preliminary hearing today where he was given a copy of his eleven charges for the first time.

The highest charge brought against Bourdon is manufacturing or distributing more than a gram of heroin, which the presiding judge, Robert D. Lewis, explained comes with a hefty punishment.

“Count number one is called misconduct involving a controlled substance in the second degree; it is a B felony and carries a maximum of ten years in jail and a maximum of $100,000 in fines if proven. If the government can establish evidence beyond a reasonable doubt at your trial that you manufactured or delivered or possessed with the intent to manufacture or deliver more than one gram,” explained Lewis, “more than one gram — that’s what constitutes a B felony.”

Judge Lewis summarized some of Bourdon’s heroin-related charges, which are mostly repeated counts of manufacturing, distributing, or possessing heroin from dates between March 1st and March 8th of this year.

“Possession of less than a gram of heroin is a Class A misdemeanor and carries a maximum, I believe, thirty days in jail and a maximum of $200 in fines. So, you can see that these possessions with the intention to manufacture or deliver are felonies. These charges you are charged with, which simply are possession charges, are all duplicative, all reference the same dates, and they are all misdemeanors,” stated Judge Lewis.

Bourdon’s preliminary hearing will be continued a week from today, April 11th, and his bail remains at $20,000 with a third-party custodian.

9 Comments

1. LaVerne Losey Hoffman Smith on April 4, 2017 at 6:44 pm

what is happening in Nome these days?

2. Nate PERKINS on April 4, 2017 at 8:27 pm

It was very disturbing to see that the alleged turned and smiled to the people in the court as he was led away today, and it wasn’t directed at his relatives. To me, it showed no remorse, regret, or respect.

• Katie Bourdon on April 5, 2017 at 5:11 pm

It is my opinion that Zac turned and looked at me/his mother and his Dad and his Auntie and smiled. You can think whatever negative thoughts you want, but he made eye contact with us.

• Nate Perkins on April 5, 2017 at 6:35 pm

I know what I saw, and I stand by what I said. In the end, it won’t matter, as the majority of the charges will be dismissed and this community will continue to suffer. My condolences to the go out to the hard working drug enforcement people who put forth their best effort, only to be set back to square one by an inept prosecution/judicial system. Go and research the last five arrested for heroin dealing in Nome like I have. None of them are currently in jail, where they should be. Its a travesty.

• Matt on April 5, 2017 at 9:55 pm

It is good to hear his parents were there in the courtroom for him. Now if only they’d have listened to the MULTIPLE people that told them their son was dealing, maybe all of this could have been avoided. Unfortunately this arrest came as no shock to quite a few, and shouldn’t be to his parents.

3. Carrie on April 4, 2017 at 11:11 pm

Heartbreaking, to say the least.
    What do we do now? He is one of our own.
    We need to reach out and help him.
    I am so sorry that this has occurred. Know that Sookinna is in our prayers.
    So very sorry.

4. Briggetta B. Hawks on April 5, 2017 at 5:12 am

Zach comes from a very nice family. However, many families in Nome have/had to deal with the affects of this dangerous and deadly drug through addiction. My heart hurts for his family, but we all make our own choices as adults. My family was directly affected by heroin. Dealers need to be dealt with! And not lightly.

• Jolene Lyon on April 5, 2017 at 7:16 am

Who are his parents?

5. John Smith on April 7, 2017 at 1:35 pm

I wonder if the confidential informant’s name has the initials G.N.