This week on Sounding Board (Thursday, February 27th at 10AM) we are talking about Native Language Reclamation and Revitalization.
Language is the glue that holds culture together. Those who study cultural evolution say that language holds the key to cultural norms that are almost intuitive. But what happens when the language of your culture disappears, or threatens to? Such is the issue with many of Alaskan Native languages.
- How do you reclaim and bring back something that is lost or on the verge of being lost?
- What are schools doing to help teach native languages to a new generation?
- Why is it important for this knowledge to be passed down?
- What is happening at the state and local level?
- How does language shape your community and culture?
- What can we hope for the future?